The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837. Key in this effort is to celebrate the intellectual life of the University. This Faculty History Website is intended as a component of the effort to document the extraordinary academic achievements of Michigan’s faculty in building and sustaining one of the world’s great universities. It provides access to a comprehensive database of information concerning the thousands of faculty members who have served the University of Michigan.
Find out more.
The Michigan Alumnus 475
Milles Fountain Honors Judge Cooley (Fountain is located on Ingalls Mall in Front of the Michigan League)
A decorative addition to the Michigan Campus memorializ ing a famous Michigan jurist and member of the first Faculty of the Law School was formally dedicated as part of the Commencement Week pro gram on June 21 when the new Cooley Fountain on the Mall was presented to the University by its donor, Charles A. Baird, '95, '95l, of Kansas City. The creation of the renowned sculptor of Cranbrook School, Carl Milles, it was given by Mr. Baird in honor of the late Judge Thomas Mclntyre Coo ley, and is located on the Mall oppo site the Burton Memorial Tower and the Michigan League.
Ceremonies of dedication brought both the sculptor and the donor to the microphone set up on the broad expanse flanking the fountain, while the gift was accepted on behalf of the University by President Ruthven. The sculptor told the audience of alumni and Faculty members that his concep tion in the piece was inspired by boy hood experiences when his father took him swimming in the ocean in his na tive Sweden. The fountain's central figure is a massive Triton, a mythologi cal god, swimming to sea with his sons clinging to his back. "Sunday Morning in Deep Waters," the inscription, in dicates the childhood associations em bodied by the sculptor in his work.
The major and minor figures of the group are done in bronze coated with a green patina, with the central figure set on a block of Minnesota granite. A school of fish are depicted accompany ing the family on their excursion, the whole group being enveloped in a sweeping spray from the mouths of the fish and the conch-shell trumpet on which the elder Triton blows to soothe the restless waves. The pool around the fountain is 20 by 30 feet and 18 inches in depth. Pumps in a chamber under the fountain re-circulate the water.
Thomas M. Cooley, in whose mem ory the fountain was dedicated, was one of the original Faculty of the Uni versity Law School. As Professor of Law and later as Professor of Ameri can History and Constitutional Law, Dean of the Law Department and Dean of the School of Political Science, he served the University from 1859 until his death in 1898. He was a Justice of the Michigan Supreme Court for 21 years, Chairman of the first Interstate Commerce Commission, and is widely known for his legal and historical writings. Professor Lewis G. Vandervelde, of the History Department and Director of the Michigan Historical Collections, spoke on Judge Cooley's life and times.
The inspiration for a fountain came to him on a visit to Cranbrook School, near Birmingham, Mr. Baird said in speaking briefly at the ceremonies. He had previously wished to express his admiration for Judge Cooley in the form of a statue, he revealed, but upon seeing Milles work, and especially the fountain at Cranbrook executed by the Swedish sculptor, he determined that his gift should be a fountain on the Mall.