The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837. Key in this effort is to celebrate the intellectual life of the University. This Faculty History Website is intended as a component of the effort to document the extraordinary academic achievements of Michigan’s faculty in building and sustaining one of the world’s great universities. It provides access to a comprehensive database of information concerning the thousands of faculty members who have served the University of Michigan.
Find out more.
Regents' Proceedings 171
Robert D. Johnson, M.D., Professor of Internal Medicine, retired from active faculty status on June 30, 1988.
A native of Kalamazoo, Dr. Johnson received his B.A. degree from Western Michigan University in 1942. He then attended medical school at The University of Michigan, receiving his M.D. degree in 1945. After his internship at the University of Wisconsin, he returned to The University of Michigan to complete his residency in internal medicine in 1952. He joined the Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism as a junior clinical instructor in 1952, progressing to instructor in 1953, assistant professor in 1957, associate professor in 1961, and professor of internal medicine in 1969. At about the same time, he took on concurrent faculty appointments at Michigan State University and the Blodgett Memorial Medical Center in Grand Rapids. He held these three key positions until his retirement in 1988.
Dr. Johnson's achievements over the years reflect his contributions to the study of a variety of endocrinologic disorders and his expertise as a resourceful and conscientious clinician. Many medical students at The University of Michigan have benefited from his great skill in imparting the lessons he learned from his vast clinical experiences. His wisdom and knowledge transcended the scientific world of medicine, infusing compassion and an awareness of human values into medical education and health care delivery at all levels.
Students in the University's Inteflex Program particularly benefited from Dr. Johnson's professional achievements and personal outlook on life. From 1972 until June of 1987, he provided unswerving leadership in the program's keystone course, "Introduction to Patient Care." His many students will best remember him as a caring physician educator who championed an appropriate balance between the impersonal delivery of technological medicine and the compassionate understanding of patients and their families.
The Regents now salute this distinguished health educator for his dedicated service by naming Robert D. Johnson Professor Emeritus of Internal Medicine.