The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837. Key in this effort is to celebrate the intellectual life of the University. This Faculty History Website is intended as a component of the effort to document the extraordinary academic achievements of Michigan’s faculty in building and sustaining one of the world’s great universities. It provides access to a comprehensive database of information concerning the thousands of faculty members who have served the University of Michigan.
Find out more.

The Bentley Historical Library serves as the official archives for the University.

Classroom Profile

Max Loehr
The Michigan Alumnus 378

When MAX LOEHR joined the University faculty as Professor of Far 
Eastern Art in 1951, he brought with him 
a most interesting background in his field. 
He came from Munich, Germany, where 
he had been Curator of the Asiatic Collec
tions in the "Museum fur Volkerkunde,"
 and he had also taught in the Munich 
University. His marvelous command of the 
English language is due in part to his long 
sojourn in China (December, 1940 to
 March, 1949), where he was associated
 with the Sino-German Institute in Peking. 
He was also an Associate Professor at
 Tsing-Hua University for the last two of 
these years. Professor Loehr, whose chief 
line is Chinese archaeology, was born in 
Chemnitz, Germany. He was educated at
 Augsburg, Muenchen, and at the univer
sities of Munich and Berlin. He is married 
and has two sons, Thomas, in junior high
 school, and Klaus, in high school.