The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837, and the history of the University's schools and colleges. This project is part of a larger effort to prepare resources for the University's bicentennial in 2017. Find out more.

The Bentley Historical Library serves as the official archives for the University.

Memoir

Marie Dorothy Hartwig
Regent's Proceedings 781

Marie Dorothy Hartwig, Professor of Physical Education, has retired from active faculty status as of May 31, 1977, after 44 years of service to The University of Michigan as a teacher and an administrator.

Marie Dorothy Hartwig is a life-long resident of Michigan, having gone to high school in Detroit and receiving B.A. and B.S. degrees from The University of Michigan in 1929 and 1931. She accepted a position at The University of Michigan as an instructor in 1936 and in 1938 received an M.S. degree from The University of Michigan.

Professor Hartwig taught courses in Organization and Administration and courses related to Camping and the Outdoors. Her latter interests lead to an extensive involvement in the National Music Camp at Interlochen, Michigan. Professor Hartwig's academic career has been highlighted by an intense dedication to students through an extensive advising and counseling role.

In 1974, Marie Dorothy Hartwig assumed the role of the first Associate Director of Intercollegiate Athletics for Women and held that position until her retirement. During her tenure six varsity sports were initiated for women.

Marie Hartwig has an outstanding history of involvement with University and community service groups characterized by such activities in the YWCA, Pi Lambda Theta, Mortar Board, and USO, as well as numerous professional organizations.

The Regents now salute this distinguished physical educator for her dedicated service by naming her Professor Emerita of Physical Education.