Jean Hebrard, Professor of Architecture in the College of Architecture and Design since 1931, having reached his seventieth birthday on December 31, 1948, became eligible for retirement under the provisions of the Bylaws of the University at the end of the first semester of 1948-49.
A native of Paris and a graduate of the Ecole des Beaux Arts in that city, and a soldier of France throughout the First World War, Professor Hebrard has had a distinguished career as an architect both in his native country and in the United States. Between 1919 and 1926 he planned three important housing developments in France, including the complete reconstruction of the city of Albigny, which had been destroyed in the war. In the United States he had served as Professor of Architecture both at Cornell University and at the University of Pennsylvania before joining the Michigan faculty.
He was honored with the gold medal of the Salon des Artistes Franqais in 1904 and in 1947 was elected a Fellow of the American Institute of Architects. Trained in the academic tradition but nevertheless sympathetically conscious of modern needs and trends, Professor Hebrard was unusually successful in bridging the gap between the old and the new and was consequently of great service to the College as the director of its work in architectural design.
Both students and colleagues held him in warm regard for his friendly nature and the keen and helpful interest in the work of others that he characteristically displayed. The Regents of the University of Michigan join with them in their appreciation of Professor Hebrard's notable contributions to the prestige of the College and the University, and in their good wishes for his future health and happiness. They furthermore confer upon him the title Professor Emeritus of Architecture and cordially invite him to avail himself of all the courtesies customarily extended to emeritus members of the faculty.