The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837. Key in this effort is to celebrate the intellectual life of the University. This Faculty History Website is intended as a component of the effort to document the extraordinary academic achievements of Michigan’s faculty in building and sustaining one of the world’s great universities. It provides access to a comprehensive database of information concerning the thousands of faculty members who have served the University of Michigan.
Find out more.
Law School's Law Quadrangle Notes
James Martin joined the law faculty this fall as assistant professor after serving one year as law clerk to Judge Harold Leventhal of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.
Martin received his J.D. in 1969 from the University of Michigan, where he was executive editor of the Michigan Law Review and a member of order of the Coif. Prior to law school he was awarded a Woodrow Wilson fellowship and earned a masters degree in mathematics from the University.
While a second-year law student, Martin co-authored (with Prof. Paul Carrington) the lead article in the December 1967 issue of the Michigan Law Review: "Substantive Interests and the Jurisdiction of State Courts." He also served as a student research assistant to Dean Francis Allen.
As an undergraduate at the University of Illinois, Martin was a member of Phi Beta Kappa and a Rhodes Scholarship semifinalist.
-- From the University of Michigan Law School's Law Quadrangle Notes, V. 15, Iss. 01 (Fall 1970).