The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837. Key in this effort is to celebrate the intellectual life of the University. This Faculty History Website is intended as a component of the effort to document the extraordinary academic achievements of Michigan’s faculty in building and sustaining one of the world’s great universities. It provides access to a comprehensive database of information concerning the thousands of faculty members who have served the University of Michigan.
Find out more.
The Michigan Alumnus 14
Architecture Chairman Named
Jacques C. Brownson, Chicago architect, has been named professor and chairman of the architecture de partment of The University of Mich igan.
He has been design chief for C. F. Murphy Associates, Chicago. In that position he was responsible for the design of the Continental Building ($18,000,000), the Hektoen Institute for Medical Research ($7,500,000) and most recently for the design and direction of the $76,000,000 Chicago Civic Center.
Born Aug. 3, 1923, in Aurora, 111. he was graduated from high school there in 1941. He entered Illinois Institute of Technology in 1941 and was in military service with the U.S. Corps of Engineers in China, Burma and India from 1943-46. He was granted a B.S. in architecture from IIT in 1948 and an M.S. in architec ture there in 1954.
From 1948-59 he was a member of the IIT faculty. During that time he conducted a private practice, and his own house, which he designed and built in 1950, was selected for publi cation in "Architectural Record" as a Record House in 1956. In 1959 he joined C. F. Murphy Associates.
Brownson replaces Prof. Walter Sanders, chairman for 10 years, who has asked to be relieved of adminis trative responsibility to devote him self to teaching and professional practice.