The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837. Key in this effort is to celebrate the intellectual life of the University. This Faculty History Website is intended as a component of the effort to document the extraordinary academic achievements of Michigan’s faculty in building and sustaining one of the world’s great universities. It provides access to a comprehensive database of information concerning the thousands of faculty members who have served the University of Michigan.
Find out more.
Regents' Proceedings 18
Ernest Hamilton Watson, Professor of Pediatrics and Director of the Outpatient Department in Pediatrics, is formally retiring from the medical faculty at the age of sixty-six.
A native of Indiana, Dr. Watson was schooled in Evansville and earned his baccalaureate from Evansville College. He came then to this University, earning his medical degree in 1932, and he completed his residency in the Detroit area, at Herman Keifer and Henry Ford hospitals. The American Board of Pediatrics certified him in 1937. The next five years he spent in the Professional Service Division of Parke Davis and Company, where he gained experience in scientific editing and research.
He returned to the University in 1942 as Instructor in Child Health in the School of Public Health, with a joint appointment in the Pediatrics and Communicable Diseases Department of the Medical School. In succeeding years he increased his commitment to clinical practice and teaching. He rose through the several ranks to Professor of Pediatrics and Communicable Diseases in 1954 and, after 1956, distributed his time entirely between teaching in the Medical School and directing outpatient services in Pediatrics in University Hospital. Before entering upon his retirement furlough, he had within his purview some twenty-five thousand patients, was involved with several specialty clinics, and carried also a substantial load of teaching.
Possessing a gift for organization as well as a sound and comprehensive clinical knowledge, Dr. Watson was steadily active in professional medical circles. Nationally, he was on the Rheumatic Fever Committee and the Adoptions Committee of the American Academy of Pediatrics. He served as well on state committees concerned with the adoption of children, with licensing of foreign-trained specialists, and with supervising school health. In the City and the area, he was consultant to the schools and to child-health and service organizations. Within the Hospital, he chaired the Outpatient Department Committee and served on the Senior Medical Advisory Committee.
His colleagues in the Medical Center will sorely miss his energies, his talents, and his devotion. In proportion as he has richly earned an early retirement, they are reluctant to see him go. The Regents of the University now tender Dr. Watson their grateful esteem for past services and their cordial good wishes for his future as they appoint him Professor Emeritus of Pediatrics and Communicable Diseases.