The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837. Key in this effort is to celebrate the intellectual life of the University. This Faculty History Website is intended as a component of the effort to document the extraordinary academic achievements of Michigan’s faculty in building and sustaining one of the world’s great universities. It provides access to a comprehensive database of information concerning the thousands of faculty members who have served the University of Michigan.
Find out more.
History of the University of Michigan 188
Edward Carey Walker was born at Butternuts, Otsego County, New York, July 4, 1820, son of Stephen and Lydia (Gardner) Walker. He was prepared for college at Hamilton Academy, but when fifteen years of age decided to become a civil engineer and joined the engineer forces that were working on the Chenango canal. In two years' time a broken knee ended this career, and the young man came to Detroit. He was now desirous of continuing his academic studies and attended the Detroit Branch of the University. In 1840 he was admitted to Yale College as a junior and took his degree in 1842. Returning to Detroit he taught in the Branch of the University, but soon began the study of the law. This course was completed under the instruction of Judge Story and Professor Greenleaf at Harvard. He was admitted to the Bar at Detroit in 1845, and followed his profession there until his death, December 28, 1894. Mr. Walker was never active in politics but was always interested in educational movements. For many years he served as Secretary of the Detroit Board of Education, and from January 1, 1864 to 1882 was a leading member of the Board of Regents of the University, having been twice re-elected to the office. He was also a member of the State House of Representatives in 1867. In 1852 he was married to Lucy Bryant of Buffalo, and they had two children: Bryant (A.B. 1876, LL.B. 1879), of the Detroit Bar; and Jessie R., now the wife of the Reverend Wallace Radcliffe, of Washington, D. C.