The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837. Key in this effort is to celebrate the intellectual life of the University. This Faculty History Website is intended as a component of the effort to document the extraordinary academic achievements of Michigan’s faculty in building and sustaining one of the world’s great universities. It provides access to a comprehensive database of information concerning the thousands of faculty members who have served the University of Michigan.
Find out more.
Regents' Proceedings 1199
C. James Pilcher, Professor of Finance in the School of Business Administration, will retire from active faculty status on May 31, 1987, following a 40-year career at The University of Michigan.
Professor Pilcher received his B.A., M.B.A., and Ph.D. degrees from The University of Michigan in 1942, 1947, and 1955 respectively. He was first appointed as an instructor in 1947, became an assistant professor in 1955, associate professor in 1958, and professor in 1962. He was a visiting professor at Stichting Bedrijfskunde, Rotterdam, in 1968 and at the University of Hawaii in 1975.
Professor Pilcher's published works include articles and books on debt financing and municipal and industrial aid bonds. His most recent research activity has centered around pension fund performance and measurement. His students have consistently viewed him as a professor who cared about them as individuals and genuinely wanted them to succeed. He always derived great satisfaction from his students' accomplishments.
A model citizen of both the University and the community, Professor Pilcher served on the School of Business Administration Executive Committee, the Alumni Association Budget and Finance Committee, and the Finance Group, which he chaired for several years with great enthusiasm and dedication. He has been an active supporter of the athletic program, and participated in recruiting activities. He has been a member of the Ann Arbor Rotary International Club for many years, serving as president from 1972- 73 and on the board of directors from 1974-79. He was a director and member of the executive committee of the Ann Arbor Area Chamber of Commerce from 1972-76. He has been active in the Ann Arbor United Fund organization, and served on the City of Ann Arbor pension and retirement board.
The Regents now salute C. James Pilcher for his many years of service dedicated service by naming him Professor Emeritus of Finance.