The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837. Key in this effort is to celebrate the intellectual life of the University. This Faculty History Website is intended as a component of the effort to document the extraordinary academic achievements of Michigan’s faculty in building and sustaining one of the world’s great universities. It provides access to a comprehensive database of information concerning the thousands of faculty members who have served the University of Michigan.
Find out more.
The Michigan Alumnus 576
Dr. Charles Kasson Wead, who died at St. Joseph's Infirmary on April 1, was for many years a resident of Ann Arbor, having been profes sor of physics from 1877 to 1885, and making his home here since his retirement from the government service in 1921. He was born at Malone, N. Y., on Sept. 1, 1848. He graduated from the University of Vermont in 1871; the same year that President Angell left Burlington to come to Ann Arbor. He married in 1879 the daughter of President Calvin Pease of the University of Vermont. After leaving college he studied at Berlin and elsewhere in Europe. He retired from teaching to engage in business in 1886, and in 1892 became an "examiner" in the U. S. Patent Office in Washington where he remained until coming here to live in 1921.
Mr. Wead always retained his interest in science. He was a member of various scientific societies, and published several books and numerous articles on various phases of physics. In 1909 he was president of the Philosophical Society of Washington, and for many years he was one of its most active members. He was also a well known member of the celebrated Cosmos Club of Washington, where he could regularly be found on Monday evenings, the time at which members made a point of being present. His great interest in acoustics led him into many by-paths of scientific knowledge, especially to studies of the physical basis of musical instruments. He was an authority on the physics of organs and greatly interested in their construc tion. His familiarity with out of the way books and journals was extraordinary, and few scientific topics were unfamiliar to him.
Professor Wead is survived by two daughters, Miss M. Eunice Wead, Assistant Custodian of the William L. Clements Library of American History of the University, and Miss Katharine Wead, Libra rian of the South High School of Pittsburgh, Pa.